Choosing the Correct Agent
When putting your property on the market, the real estate agent you choose could make or break a deal on your property.
Its important that you choose an agent with not only a proven sales record, but one that will go the extra mile when needed to get your deal over the line.
Just because a real estate agent is offering you the lowest commission rate and/or highest appraisal does not necessarily make them the best agent for the job.
The best way to find a real estate agent for your property is to ask around. Talk to colleagues, family, friends and neighbours if they have any experiences with agents and who they would recommend. If you are unable to find referrals this way, search the internet for local agents and see which one have the best reviews from past clients. Another handy thing to check when looking for a potential agent is whether they are part of an organisation such as the REIQ. Read more about why you should use an REIQ accredited agent here.
When you think you have found a few potential agents be sure to have a talk to them. The following questions can help give you an idea on what they are like and what they can do for you:
- How many properties did you sell in the last month and in the last year?
- How many buyers are you working with at the moment?
- Can you provide me with an example of your marketing campaign?
- If I am not happy with your performance, how do I cancel our agreement?
- Can you provide with a list of testimonials from your previous clients?
- How often will you provide feedback on the progress of my sale?
- Can you provide me with 3 recent sales in my area, similar to my property, and what they sold for?
- What is the average house price in my area?
- Do you have similar properties to mine currently for sale?